Lately, we have been on a soup kick. Last weekend, I made a hearty lentil and bean soup.
The great thing about soups is that you really can't go wrong with the ingredients. It is based merely on your taste and what makes you feel good.
Feel free to substitute sausage or beef for the chicken in this recipe.
8 ounces dried lentils
8 ounces dried white northern beans
1 large onion
1/2 cup chives; chopped
2 stalks celery; chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup white wine
6 strips bacon; crumbled
1 chicken breast; cooked and chopped
64 ounces chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
16 ounce can stewed tomatoes
1. Prepare lentils and beans as directed on the package.
2. In a large stock pot, saute bacon and onions over medium heat. When onions are soft, add the chives, salt, pepper, and thyme. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Drain lentils and beans and add to the stock pot.
4. Add the chicken breast.
5. Add white wine, chicken broth, and stewed tomatoes. Simmer for 45 minutes until beans are tender.
6. Add cayenne pepper to taste.