Sometimes you run across a cookbook that you keep for life. The cookbook that I have was passed on to me by my mom.
Well, getting back to my cookbook story. This cookbook was put out by the Badger State Chapter of the Pontiac-Oakland club. There are several recipes from this book that are old stand-by's. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
2 1/2-3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup golden raisins
1. Mix flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2. Beat oil and sugar together until thick.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg.
4. Add remaining ingredients together and mix.
5. Bake at 350 degrees in a greased round baking pans lined with waxed paper for 30-35 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool 5-10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely.
7. Frost with cream cheese frosting recipe below.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar
1. Let cream cheese and margarine warm to room temperature; then cream thoroughly.
2. Add vanilla.
3. Gradually beat in sugar.
4. For good spreading consistency, frosting can be thickened by adding more powdered sugar or thinned with heavy cream.