Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chicken with Dill Pickle Sauce

Years ago, my mom tried a Dill Pickle Pot Roast recipe she found in a cookbook from Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet.  For someone who absolutely hated pot roast, this turned out to be my favorite way to prepare.  So, when I found this recipe for Chicken with Dill Pickle Sauce, I was very excited to make it.


The light flour dredging gives the chicken some substance and holds the sauce but does not have the heavy breaded taste.  I also used the homemade zesty dill pickles I put up over the summer.  The recipe was prepared as written and I really can't think of any modifications for the dish.   


I served the chicken with couscous and cauliflower but the next time I will definitely make it over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.



 Chicken with Dill Pickle Sauce

4  6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    All-purpose flour for dredging
2  tablespoons unsalted butter
1  medium onion; chopped
1  tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1  cup chicken broth
2  large egg yolks
1/2  cup coarsely chopped dill pickles, plus 1/3 cup juice from the jar
5  scallions, finely chopped
1/4  cup chopped fresh parsley

1.  Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 8 thin cutlets.  Season with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.  Heat the butter in a large skillet over high heat.  Add the chicken in batches and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.  Transfer to plate. 

2.  Add the onion, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the skillet.  Cook until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and cook until slightly reduced, 3 to 4 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium low.

3.  Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks, pickles, pickle juice, scallions and parsley in a bowl.  Stir into the broth and cook, stirring, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 1 minute.  Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until the sauce thickens and the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes (do not boil).  

2 comments:

  1. Eating is really one of my hobby i mean part of my life. I love going to a place and at the same time taste their delicious and most wanted food.I want to taste something that is new to my palate.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. When someone writes an article he/she keeps the thought of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it. Therefore that’s why this post is outstanding.Thanks!

    Bubble
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments!