I found this recipe on the internet and made some modifications. The buttermilk gives it a great flavor. There is just something about down-home cooking to warm you up during the cold winter months. You could also make this recipe using biscuit dough to create Chicken with Biscuits. Another variation would be topping the dish with puff pastry sheets cut into strips. Be inventive and creative!
Chicken Pot Pie
1 cup potato; diced
1 cup onion; diced
1 cup celery; diced
1 cup carrot; diced
1 cup red pepper; diced
1 stick butter
½ cup flour
2 cups broth
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons sage
½ teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper; to taste
4 cups chicken; cooked and chopped
(1 ½ pounds cooked in broth with two bay leaves)
1 cups buttermilk
2 1/4 cups baking mix
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Cook chicken in chicken broth and bay leaves.
3. Sauté onion, celery, carrots, potato, and red pepper in the butter for 10 minutes.
4. Add flour to sautéed mixture, stirring well. Cook one minute stirring constantly.
5. Combine broth and buttermilk.
6. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
7. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
8. Pour into a glass 13x9-inch baking dish.
9. Mix biscuit ingredients and spoon over the top of the baking dish
10. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.