Thursday, July 14, 2016

Ham and Asparagus Breakfast Casserole

We had family come up for the weekend and I was looking for something to put together the night before and have ready to pop in the oven first thing in the morning before we started our day.



Well, we have all made a breakfast casserole at one point in time or another.  I know I have made my share of them.  This one in particular sounded appealing because it included asparagus.  Which is one of our favorite vegetables.  Especially when it is roasted.  Now, this recipe did not call for the asparagus to be roasted but I think next time I will try it that way.

I did swap out some of the ingredients for the low-fat/fat-free, healthier alternatives, however, the very nature of this type of recipe does lend itself to a few calories.  But, everything in moderation, right?

This turned out to be one of the lightest breakfast casseroles I have ever eaten.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.


Ham and Asparagus Breakfast Casserole

  • 1/4 cup margarine
    • I have since learned that the Heart and Vascular Institute dieticians have determined that Brummel and Brown Yogurt Spread is the lowest in calories, and best in fats because of its combination of oils.  These oils include Palm, Soybean, and Canola. 
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus; trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces *
  • 1 medium bell pepper; chopped
  • 1 medium sweet onion; chopped 
  • 1 loaf of french bread; cubed into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups) 
    • I used a Walmart loaf that was approximately 5-inches wide x 12-inches long.
  • 2 cups fat-free cheddar cheese; shredded
  • 1 cup low-sodium ham; diced
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 10 eggs
    • I might try the equivalent in egg substitute next time I make this recipe.
  • 2-1/2 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash (salt-free seasoning)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper   

1.    In medium skillet, sauté asparagus, pepper and onion in margarine for 3 to 5 minutes.
            *Broccoli may be substituted for the asparagus.

2.    In a mixing bowl, add bread cubes, ham, 1 cup of the cheese and sautéed vegetables        and mix well. 
            *Your favorite fat-free cheese may be substituted for the cheddar.

3.    Beat together remaining ingredients (except for remaining cheese) until well mixed.

4.    Pour mixture over ingredients in bowl and stir well. Pour contents of bowl into a                greased 9-inch x 13-inch pan. 

5.    Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Bake uncovered at        350°F for 45-50 minutes until golden and puffed.


This recipe is from the Sue Bee Honey website and was altered at my discretion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments!