We are having some friend over for a day of outdoor games, cards, and a BBQ. On the menu is Smoked Pulled Pork, Vidalia Onion Stuffed Burgers, Grilled Chicken Breasts, Potato Salad, and this Mexican Corn, Tomato, and Queso Fresco Salad recipe I found on the internet.
I did modify the internet version slightly. It did not originally call for the tomatoes and Queso Fresco cheese. I thought those extra flavors would round out the salad. The amounts of the ingredients were also changed to suit our tastes. My suggestion is always start with the base recipe and adjust to your taste.
Mexican Corn, Tomato, and Queso Fresco Salad
- 10 ears corn or 2 pounds of frozen, thawed and drained
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 limes, juiced and zested
- Seasoning salt, to taste
- 10 ounces Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled
1. Shuck and cook corn, cut kernels from corn. Boiling will take you 3-4 minutes. If using frozen corn. **Make sure thawed and drained.**
2. Mix corn, tomatoes and chopped cilantro together, set aside.
3. Combine salad dressing, chili powder, lime juice and zest. Mix well.
4. Add salad dressing mixture to corn mixture.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
6. Just before serving, add queso cheese crumbles.
Yield: 10 servings