On our recent trip to the farmer's market in Wheaton, IL, I ran across the nicest leeks. Since the weather is changing and a nice warm bowl of soup was in order, I made the Irish Potato Leek Soup found below. I did use a combination of red and white potatoes.
Irish Potato Leek Soup
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cups leeks, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups light cream
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
1. In large pan, heat the oil and add the leeks, celery, onion and garlic.
2. Saute over medium heat, until the vegetables are soft.
3. Stir in the vegetable stock or water, potatoes, salt, pepper& thyme; bring to a boil.
4. Simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced
with a fork.
5. Add the cream and herbs and return to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the soup from the heat and let sit a few minutes before serving.
7. Serve with warm bread.